Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Snails, Frogs, and Puppy Dog Tails

I thought that old saying, "snails, frogs, and puppy dog tails" always referred to boys, but boy was I ever wrong! Laurel can be such a girl in some ways (loves shoes, bracelets, sunglasses, "feeding" her baby dolls, etc.) but she loves to get down and dirty as much or more than any boy. Here is one story about Laurel and frogs...

We have a small pond behind our house which had a lot of tadpoles in it. Well a few weeks ago they turned into frogs and there must have been hundreds in there! Matt decided that there were too many and we needed to transport some down to the creek on our property. The beginning of the expedition was a little hairy as Laurel kept trying to jump into the frog pond while Matt was putting the frogs into a jar for transport.

Here is Laurel trying to jump into the pond. I had to throw down the camera and run over and grab her before she jumped in!
She was NOT happy when I moved her to another spot. She could not see and kept trying to climb the rocks!
Ahh...That's better.
Taking a ride down to the creek.
Matt putting the frogs into their new home.
Laurel jumped right into the creek and started splashing.
The saved frogs. Welcome to your new home. Hope you like it!
Walking back to the house after a fun new experience.
I love doing such simple things with my little family. It reminds me that you don't have to go somewhere to have a learning experience (something Matt tells me all the time anyway). What a fun day!

5 comments:

Jonathan and Rachel said...

Funny! In our family ... it's me who picks up the frogs, lizards, caterpillars ... Jonathan would rather not! Looks like you guys are enjoying summer!

Candace said...

Yeah, I'm the one who rather not! That's why I decided to be the photographer that day. :)

Anna said...

lol Well, it shows inquisitiveness, right? At least that's what I tell myself so I don't end up freaking out over everything. Ben actually found a toad outside the other night and brought it in the house to show Aaron. .... I was like, okay show him and then geththatoutofmyhouse!

Candace said...

Anna, the other day Matt found a snake and wanted to bring it in the house! I was like are you nuts, you're lucky I'm letting you have it on the back porch!

Grand-Dad said...

Laurel has had a fun summer